To be a dynamic regulatory agency acting as a catalyst for positive change and innovation for the delivery of quality university education in Nigeria.
To ensure the orderly development of a well coordinated and productive university system that will guarantee quality and relevant education for national development and global competitiveness.
The Goals of the National Universities Commission are:
- Attainment of stable and crisis-free University System.
- To work with Nigerian Universities to achieve full accreditation status for at least 80% of the academic programmes.
- To initiate and promote proficiency in the use of ICT for service delivery within the Commission and the Nigerian University System.
- Upgrade and maintain physical facilities in the Nigerian University System for delivery of quality university education.
- To match university graduate output with national manpower needs.
- To foster partnership between the Nigerian University System and the private sector.
The Functions of the Commission are:
- To advise the President and State Governors, through the Minister, on the creation of new universities and other degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria;
- To prepare, after consultation with the State Governments, the universities, the national manpower Board and such other bodies as it considers appropriate, periodic master plans for the balanced and co-coordinated development of all universities in Nigeria;
To lay down Minimum Academic Standards in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and to accredit their degrees and other academic awards;
- To ensure that quality is maintained within the academic programmes of the Nigerian University System;
- To make such other investigations relating to higher education as the Commission may consider necessary in the national interest;
- To inquire into and advise the Federal Government on the financial needs, both recurrent and capital, of university education in Nigeria and, in particular, to investigate and study the financial needs of university research and to ensure that adequate provision is made for this in the universities;
- To take into account, in advising the Federal and State Governments on university finances, such grants as may be made to the Universities by the Federal and State Governments, private proprietors and by persons and institutions in and outside Nigeria;
- To undertake periodic reviews of the terms and conditions of service of personnel engaged in the universities and to make recommendations thereon to the Federal Government where appropriate;
- To recommend to the Visitor of a university that a visitation be made to such university as and when it considers it necessary;
- To act as the agency for channeling all external aid to the universities in Nigeria;
- To receive block grants from the Federal Government and allocate them to Federal Universities in accordance with such formula as may be laid down by the National Council of Ministers.
Subscribe to the Commission's Monday Bulletin
The Nigerian Academy of Letters (NAL), at its 19th Convocation last Thursday inducted Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, mni, MFR the Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC), and four others as Fellows of the elite organization.read more
The National Council of Education (NCE) has ratified the return of History and Religious Studies into the Basic Education Curriculum of Nigerian Schoolsread more
A promoter and proprietor of a closed illegal degree mill, one Mr. Martins Olurantise was convicted and sentenced to ten years imprisonment by the Federal High Court, Akure on the 19th June 2017.read more
The Acting Executive Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu has disclosed that the Commission would from January 2018, commence full sponsorship of 20 doctoral research theses in the Nigerian University System (NUS)read more
The Association of Nigerian University Professional Administrators (ANUPA) last Monday held a two-day training workshop for Senior Assistant Registrars and Deputy Directors of Nigerian University System (NUS)read more
The Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC) Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, mni, MFR, has reiterated that accurate data collection and management were essential for national planning and development.read more