To be a dynamic regulatory agency acting as a catalyst for positive change and innovation for the delivery of quality university education in Nigeria.
To ensure the orderly development of a well coordinated and productive university system that will guarantee quality and relevant education for national development and global competitiveness.
The Goals of the National Universities Commission are:
- Attainment of stable and crisis-free University System.
- To work with Nigerian Universities to achieve full accreditation status for at least 80% of the academic programmes.
- To initiate and promote proficiency in the use of ICT for service delivery within the Commission and the Nigerian University System.
- Upgrade and maintain physical facilities in the Nigerian University System for delivery of quality university education.
- To match university graduate output with national manpower needs.
- To foster partnership between the Nigerian University System and the private sector.
The Functions of the Commission are:
- To advise the President and State Governors, through the Minister, on the creation of new universities and other degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria;
- To prepare, after consultation with the State Governments, the universities, the national manpower Board and such other bodies as it considers appropriate, periodic master plans for the balanced and co-coordinated development of all universities in Nigeria;
To lay down Minimum Academic Standards in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and to accredit their degrees and other academic awards;
- To ensure that quality is maintained within the academic programmes of the Nigerian University System;
- To make such other investigations relating to higher education as the Commission may consider necessary in the national interest;
- To inquire into and advise the Federal Government on the financial needs, both recurrent and capital, of university education in Nigeria and, in particular, to investigate and study the financial needs of university research and to ensure that adequate provision is made for this in the universities;
- To take into account, in advising the Federal and State Governments on university finances, such grants as may be made to the Universities by the Federal and State Governments, private proprietors and by persons and institutions in and outside Nigeria;
- To undertake periodic reviews of the terms and conditions of service of personnel engaged in the universities and to make recommendations thereon to the Federal Government where appropriate;
- To recommend to the Visitor of a university that a visitation be made to such university as and when it considers it necessary;
- To act as the agency for channeling all external aid to the universities in Nigeria;
- To receive block grants from the Federal Government and allocate them to Federal Universities in accordance with such formula as may be laid down by the National Council of Ministers.
The Pro-Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Dr. Wale Babalakin (SAN) has advocated the formulation of policies that would attract the best brains to Nigerian Universities.read more
The Executive Secretary, NUC Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, mni, MRF, FNAL, has described the choice of the Federal Road Safety Corps Academy to affiliate with the Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) as a welcome developmentread more
The Honourable Minister of Education, Mal. Adamu Adamu, has stressed the need for the Commonwealth of Nations to work together to protect the natural environment and the ocean that they collectively share.
In his address at the 2019 Commonwealth day celebration, held this Monday, with the theme “A Connected Commonwealth,”
The Executive Secretary, NUC, Prof. Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, mni, MFR, FNAL, has directed for the reconciliation of the investment accounts of the Nigeria University Pension Management Company (NUPEMCO) within the next one week, in order to resolve outstanding issues pending with the new pension fund Company.read more
The Nigeria Economic Summit Group visited the Executive Secretary, NUC, Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, mni, MFR, FNAL, in his office, for collaboration in the area of the review of the NUC blueprint on the rapid revitalization of university education in Nigeria.read more
The working relationship existing between the NUC and Industrial Training Fund have been quite cordial as both organisation share a lot in common, especially in the area of Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme, the ES, NUC, Prof Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, MFR, mni, FNAL, has said.read more
The National Universities Commission (NUC) has issued provisional licences to four new private universities following Federal Executive Council’s approval for establishment of the universities during its meeting on 9 January, 2019.read more
The Executive Secretary, Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, has enjoined Vice-Chancellors of federal universities to uphold the sanctity and good reputation of the Nigerian University System by applying themselves fully to the rules of engagement as prescribed by INEC for all university officials who would be participating in the 2019 electoral duties.read more
Former Vice Chancellor, University of Ibadan and Chairman, NUC Skills Development Advisory Committee, Professor Olufemi Bamiro has called for the establishment of National Skills Development Agency (SDAC) to address the Skills gaps bedeviling the nation in critical sectors of the economy.read more