To be a dynamic regulatory agency acting as a catalyst for positive change and innovation for the delivery of quality university education in Nigeria.
To ensure the orderly development of a well coordinated and productive university system that will guarantee quality and relevant education for national development and global competitiveness.
The Goals of the National Universities Commission are:
- Attainment of stable and crisis-free University System.
- To work with Nigerian Universities to achieve full accreditation status for at least 80% of the academic programmes.
- To initiate and promote proficiency in the use of ICT for service delivery within the Commission and the Nigerian University System.
- Upgrade and maintain physical facilities in the Nigerian University System for delivery of quality university education.
- To match university graduate output with national manpower needs.
- To foster partnership between the Nigerian University System and the private sector.
The Functions of the Commission are:
- To advise the President and State Governors, through the Minister, on the creation of new universities and other degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria;
- To prepare, after consultation with the State Governments, the universities, the national manpower Board and such other bodies as it considers appropriate, periodic master plans for the balanced and co-coordinated development of all universities in Nigeria;
To lay down Minimum Academic Standards in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and to accredit their degrees and other academic awards;
- To ensure that quality is maintained within the academic programmes of the Nigerian University System;
- To make such other investigations relating to higher education as the Commission may consider necessary in the national interest;
- To inquire into and advise the Federal Government on the financial needs, both recurrent and capital, of university education in Nigeria and, in particular, to investigate and study the financial needs of university research and to ensure that adequate provision is made for this in the universities;
- To take into account, in advising the Federal and State Governments on university finances, such grants as may be made to the Universities by the Federal and State Governments, private proprietors and by persons and institutions in and outside Nigeria;
- To undertake periodic reviews of the terms and conditions of service of personnel engaged in the universities and to make recommendations thereon to the Federal Government where appropriate;
- To recommend to the Visitor of a university that a visitation be made to such university as and when it considers it necessary;
- To act as the agency for channeling all external aid to the universities in Nigeria;
- To receive block grants from the Federal Government and allocate them to Federal Universities in accordance with such formula as may be laid down by the National Council of Ministers.
The Association of West Africa Universities (AWAU) recently held its 6th Conference at Universite Cheikh Anta Diop (UCAD), Dakar with the theme: “Trans-Border Research and Quality Assurance: Challenges for African Universities”.read more
The Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission, Professor Abubakar Rasheed, has clarified that the Commission has not done any ranking exercise or ranked any university in Nigeria in the past 14 years.read more
The Executive Secretary, NUC Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, has said that continuous interventions in the Nigeria University System by the World Bank has transformed Higher Education in Nigeria into a result-oriented and global commodity.read more
The Senate has adopted a report on the bill seeking to establish the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) University of Science and Technology, Abaji.read more
The Environmental and Social Management Framework of the Africa Centers of Excellence for Development Impact Project was prepared in Nigeria by the Association of African Universities on behalf of the Federal Ministry of Education.read more
The NUC in collaboration with the University of Sussex, UK held a one day research workshop for junior and mid-career academics with the theme ‘Postgraduate Researchers and Early Career Bootcamp’ at the at the Idris Abdulkadir Auditorium, NUC Secretariat.read more
The Federal Executive Council has approved construction of the $50 million (N18bn) Transportation University to be located in Daura, Katsina State which was billed to commence by next year, the Minister of Transportation, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, has said.read more
The research feat of the African Centres of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID) domiciled in Redeemer’s University (RUN), Ede Osun State has continued to reverberate with the successful exploit of the Centre in addressing a potential threat from a white powdery substance in a passport received by the Consular section at the United States Embassy in Abuja.read more
The House of Representatives Committee on Tertiary Education and Services last Wednesday held public hearing on nine proposed tertiary institutions. In his opening remarks, the Chairman of the Committee, Hon. Aminu Suleiman Goro said the public hearing was also to consider amendments to Acts of six federal universities.read more