To be a dynamic regulatory agency acting as a catalyst for positive change and innovation for the delivery of quality university education in Nigeria.
To ensure the orderly development of a well coordinated and productive university system that will guarantee quality and relevant education for national development and global competitiveness.
The Goals of the National Universities Commission are:
- Attainment of stable and crisis-free University System.
- To work with Nigerian Universities to achieve full accreditation status for at least 80% of the academic programmes.
- To initiate and promote proficiency in the use of ICT for service delivery within the Commission and the Nigerian University System.
- Upgrade and maintain physical facilities in the Nigerian University System for delivery of quality university education.
- To match university graduate output with national manpower needs.
- To foster partnership between the Nigerian University System and the private sector.
The Functions of the Commission are:
- To advise the President and State Governors, through the Minister, on the creation of new universities and other degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria;
- To prepare, after consultation with the State Governments, the universities, the national manpower Board and such other bodies as it considers appropriate, periodic master plans for the balanced and co-coordinated development of all universities in Nigeria;
To lay down Minimum Academic Standards in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and to accredit their degrees and other academic awards;
- To ensure that quality is maintained within the academic programmes of the Nigerian University System;
- To make such other investigations relating to higher education as the Commission may consider necessary in the national interest;
- To inquire into and advise the Federal Government on the financial needs, both recurrent and capital, of university education in Nigeria and, in particular, to investigate and study the financial needs of university research and to ensure that adequate provision is made for this in the universities;
- To take into account, in advising the Federal and State Governments on university finances, such grants as may be made to the Universities by the Federal and State Governments, private proprietors and by persons and institutions in and outside Nigeria;
- To undertake periodic reviews of the terms and conditions of service of personnel engaged in the universities and to make recommendations thereon to the Federal Government where appropriate;
- To recommend to the Visitor of a university that a visitation be made to such university as and when it considers it necessary;
- To act as the agency for channeling all external aid to the universities in Nigeria;
- To receive block grants from the Federal Government and allocate them to Federal Universities in accordance with such formula as may be laid down by the National Council of Ministers.
The National Universities Commission (NUC), on Monday 9th July 2018, held a two-day retreat for Vice-Chancellors of all Nigerian Universities, public and private.read more
In continuation of the partnership between National Universities Commission (NUC) and University of London (UoL), a 3-day capacity building workshop on Open and Distance Learning (ODL) was organised for academics in the Nigerian University System.read more
The Federal government has directed all Federal universities operating on temporary campuses to move to their permanent sites for effective coordination. The Minister of Education Malam Adamu Adamu, gave the directive at the 2018 JAMB Policy Meeting on Admissions into Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria, held on Tuesday, 26th June 2018, at Gbongan, Osun State.read more
The Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC), Prof. Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, mni. MFR. FNAL, has said that good governance is the best foundation and guarantor of national security.read more
The Executive Secretary, Professor Abubakar A. Rasheed, recently received a two-man delegation from the Mexican Embassy in Nigeria, led by the Mexican Ambassador, His Excellency, Alejandro Garcia Moreno, who came on a familiarisation visit to the Commission.read more
The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique B. Abubakar and his team paid a courtesy visit to the Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC) Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed in his office. The visit was a follow up on the previous proposal by the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), Kaduna to be upgraded to a degree awarding Institution.read more
In its bid to meet the academic postgraduate requirements of Nigerian University System, the National Universities Commission (NUC), has developed academic postgraduate programmes in medicine. The programme is designed to award Masters, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and Doctor of Medicine (MD).read more
The NUC wishes to announce to the general public, especially parents and prospective undergraduates, that the under-listed “Degree Mills” have not been licensed by the Federal Government and have, therefore, been closed down for violating the Education Act CAP E3 Law of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.read more
The NUC in collaboration with two of its strategic partners, the Committee of Vice Chancellors (CVC) and the Committee of Pro Chancellors is organising a 2 day high level retreat themed ‘Elements of Statutory Governance, Procurement and Financial Accounting in Nigerian Universities ‘ for Councils of Federal Universities.read more