To be a dynamic regulatory agency acting as a catalyst for positive change and innovation for the delivery of quality university education in Nigeria.
To ensure the orderly development of a well coordinated and productive university system that will guarantee quality and relevant education for national development and global competitiveness.
The Goals of the National Universities Commission are:
- Attainment of stable and crisis-free University System.
- To work with Nigerian Universities to achieve full accreditation status for at least 80% of the academic programmes.
- To initiate and promote proficiency in the use of ICT for service delivery within the Commission and the Nigerian University System.
- Upgrade and maintain physical facilities in the Nigerian University System for delivery of quality university education.
- To match university graduate output with national manpower needs.
- To foster partnership between the Nigerian University System and the private sector.
The Functions of the Commission are:
- To advise the President and State Governors, through the Minister, on the creation of new universities and other degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria;
- To prepare, after consultation with the State Governments, the universities, the national manpower Board and such other bodies as it considers appropriate, periodic master plans for the balanced and co-coordinated development of all universities in Nigeria;
To lay down Minimum Academic Standards in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and to accredit their degrees and other academic awards;
- To ensure that quality is maintained within the academic programmes of the Nigerian University System;
- To make such other investigations relating to higher education as the Commission may consider necessary in the national interest;
- To inquire into and advise the Federal Government on the financial needs, both recurrent and capital, of university education in Nigeria and, in particular, to investigate and study the financial needs of university research and to ensure that adequate provision is made for this in the universities;
- To take into account, in advising the Federal and State Governments on university finances, such grants as may be made to the Universities by the Federal and State Governments, private proprietors and by persons and institutions in and outside Nigeria;
- To undertake periodic reviews of the terms and conditions of service of personnel engaged in the universities and to make recommendations thereon to the Federal Government where appropriate;
- To recommend to the Visitor of a university that a visitation be made to such university as and when it considers it necessary;
- To act as the agency for channeling all external aid to the universities in Nigeria;
- To receive block grants from the Federal Government and allocate them to Federal Universities in accordance with such formula as may be laid down by the National Council of Ministers.
Dr. Suleiman Babatunde Ramon-Yusuf and Dr. Gidado Bello Kumo have been appointed Deputy Executive Secretaries, Academics and Administration respectively by the Board of the National Universities Commission Chaired by Emeritus Professor Ayo Banjo,read more
The President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, has directed that all Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) including universities drawing their personnel cost from the Consolidated Revenue Fund (CRF) must enroll in the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS).read more
The NUC represented Nigeria and the African Region, at the Executive Committee meeting of Islamic World Science Citation Center (ISC) held in Shiraz, Islamic Republic of Iran, on Tuesday, 11th June, 2019. The NUC Deputy Executive Secretary (DES) Dr. Suleiman Ramon-Yusuf, who attended the meeting on behalf of the nation as an executive memberread more
The National Universities Commission (NUC) and the World Bank have embarked on a joined project to facilitate the establishment of Centres of Excellence in Procurement and related areas in the Nigerian University System (NUS).
The project is tagged “Sustainable Procurement Environmental and Social Standards Enhancement (SPESSE).”
The Executive Secretary, NUC, Prof. Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, has said that higher education in Nigeria would only have a better future if Nigerian universities begin to explore ways of diversifying international collaborations.read more
Call for Proposals for the Sustainable Procurement, Environment and Social Standards Centers of Excellence (SPESSCE) -NIGERIA
The SPESSCE project launches a Call for Proposals to partner with eligible Federal Universities in Nigeria. Eligible higher education institutions (Federal Universities) from Nigeria are encouraged to submit proposals that address training,read more
Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, GCON, has said that research and innovation were necessary ingredients to solving the developmental challenges confronting African countries.read more
The President Society of Nigerian Theatre Artists (SONTA), Prof. Alex Asigbo sought for collaboration with NUC for development of curriculum for Creative Art and the possibility of making theatre art more lucrative and upgrading it to a faculty of Creative Arts.read more
The National Universities Commission (NUC), held a two-day National Summit on Private Universities, at the Idris Abdulkadir Auditorium of the National Universities Commission (NUC) Secretariat, Abuja.read more