In the aftermath of the upgrading of the erstwhile ODL division to a full- fledged Department of Open and Distance Education by the Board of the Commission on 26th July 2011, Dr. Ramon-Yusuf was appointed acting Director on 1st August 2011, a position he held until his appointment as substantive Director, Open and Distance Education on 24th October 2013. Dr. Ramon-Yusuf was appointed the Director of Research and Innovation on 29th October, 2014.
To be a catalyst for the delivery of quality research in the Nigerian University System (NUS) that will impact positively on national development.
To facilitate best practices in relevant, innovative and quality-driven research in the Nigerian University System (NUS) in partnership with other stakeholders to meet the needs of both national and global economies.
Mandate & Functions
- Coordinating and Monitoring Universities’ Projects.
- Sponsoring research in areas relevant to national development in Nigerian Universities.
- Developing and monitoring research policy for the Nigerian University System (NUS) in line with national goals and needs.
- Developing and implementing modalities for conducting periodic research assessment exercises in Nigerian Universities for funding purpose.
- Collection and collation of timely and up-to-date data on Nigerian Universities for dissemination to the general public.
- Identifying and facilitating innovations and best practices in teaching and learning in the Nigerian University System.
- Fostering collaborations between government, industry, universities and other stakeholders in Higher Education.
- Developing NUC capacity on innovative approaches to efficient and effective service delivery.
- Develop a blue print of areas of intervention in the Nigerian University System for donor support.
- Provide project management services in collaboration with donor agencies and partners for the NUC.
- Coordinate national and international linkages/collaborations in higher education.
- Coordinate NUS special projects on Research and Innovation.
- Promoting the publication of books and journals in Nigerian Universities
- Developing blueprints of areas of intervention for donor support for the promotion of research activities in the Nigerian University System
Innovation and University-Industry Linkages Division
Division is headed by Dr (Mrs) Ogbonaya Orji (Deputy Director)
- Knowledge acquisition Unit
- Innovation management Unit
- University-Industry Collaboration Unit
Research Planning and Administration Division
Division is headed by Pharm. Mohammed Audu (Deputy Director)
- Research Management Unit
- Research Publications Unit
- Conferences and Workshops Unit
Special Project and Collaboration Division
The following are the functions of the Division:
- Coordinate national and international linkages and collaborations in higher education;
- Initiate and facilitate collaborations with local and international donor agencies and development partners in the public and private sectors for the benefit of the Nigerian University System (NUS);
- Identify areas of need for quality assurance (QA) in the Nigerian University System for the intervention of development partners;
- Provide Project Management services on special projects in the Nigerian University System; and
- Identify areas of intervention for donor support for the promotion of research activities in Nigerian Universities.
- Prepare a schedule of visit and monitoring of special projects in Nigerian University System;
- Coordinate the Nigerian Universities Distinguished Professors Awards Scheme (NUDPA);
- Partner with the public and private sectors for the benefit of the Nigerian University System;
- Attending local and international donor and collaboration partners’ meetings when necessary;
- Monitor and evaluate donor agencies intervention in Nigerian University System and prepare updates as required; and
- Validate status of all existing linkages in Nigerian University System through National Universities Commission/Federal Ministry of Education and other public sectors/institutions and donor agencies
Information and Communications Technology Division
Division is headed by Dr Joshua Atah (Deputy Director)
- Infrastructure & Equipment Unit
- Network Administration Unit
- ICT Services and Applications Unit
Learning Resources Division
Division is headed by Dr (Mrs) Ekenna (Chief Librarian)
- Physical Holdings Unit
- E-Resources Unit