Mr Christopher Jibreel Maiyaki joined the National Universities Commission on the 10th of May 1993 on inter-service transfer from the Plateau State Civil Service. He has worked in various arms of the Commission and rose through the ranks culminating in his promotion to the position of Deputy Director in charge of Protocol affairs in January 2009 and his subsequent appointment as Director Protocol and Special Duties on the 16th of October, 2014.
Mr Maiyaki holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in International studies from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and a MA in International Law and Diplomacy from the University of Jos. He holds a Diploma in French language & culture and Spanish language & culture. He also possesses a certificate in Procurement from Oxford University, UK and a certificate in Computer Application in Human Resource from University of Worthing Sussex, United Kingdom.
Mr Maiyaki is a member of the Nigerian Society for International Law and the Nigerian Institute of Personnel Management.
To be a Department with potentials of providing qualitative, effective and coordinated service delivery that would impact positively on the Nigeria University System and Higher Education globally through activities such as: Linkages with Experts and Academic in Diaspora Scheme (LEADS), Collaborations, Scholarships Administration, Protocol and Passages.
To ensure the development of a well coordinated and sustainable interface aimed at building viable relationships between the Nigeria University System, Foreign missions, Development Partners and other relevant stake holders nationally and internationally.
Mandate & Functions
The main function of the department are as follows:
- Coordinating and Monitoring Linkages with Experts and Academics in the Diaspora (LEADS) Scheme.
- Coordinating the activities of the Nigerian Universities Offices in London, Washington DC and Ottawa (Canada).
- Identifying and facilitating linkages and collaboration with local and foreign institutions and agencies for the benefit of the NUS.
- Carrying out verifications/confirmation of academic qualification and accreditation in collaboration with foreign missions and Higher Education institutions.
- Identifying and facilitating recruitment/verification of foreign Nationals for the purpose of capacity building in the Nigerian Universities.
- Identifying areas of needs and coordinating study abroad programmes for best practices in University Management for both University Managers and academics.
- Establishing and maintaining diplomatic liaisons for the benefit of the Nigerian University System and higher education.
- Co-ordinating and monitoring the sponsorship of outstanding students for postgraduate programmes outside Nigeria under the PRESSID, NYSC Presidential Scholarship honours and other forms of scholarship.
- Organising and facilitating international Visitor Leadership programmes, etc.
- Attracting and Coordinating fellowships (Fulbright, Chevening, Humphrey etc.
- Developing framework and maintaining relationships with AAU, VOLVIS, QAA, IAU, CHEA, UNESCO and other international agencies or organizations on higher Education.
- Concluding arrangement for Hotel Reservation, Refreshment/Entertainment, Venue/Events Planning and Receptions for stakeholders in higher Education.
- Facilitating procurement of passports Visa and tickets for stakeholders, Development Partners and Foreign missions.
- Maintenance of vehicle fleets and logistics services for both staff of the Commission and stakeholders of the NUS.
- Establishing, maintaining, regularly updating and publishing information on the Executive Secretary’s schedule for specified period(s) of time as the case may be.
Diaspora and Linkages Division
The principal activities of the division are under the following headings:
- Nigerian Universities Offices (London, Washington DC & Ottawa)
- MOUs with Foreign Institutions
- Liaison with Overseas: Qualification and Accreditation Agencies
- Recruitment of Foreign Nationals/Verification
- Study Abroad Programmes
- International Liaison
Scholarship Administration Division
The Division is in charge of administering the following scholarships:
- NYSC Presidential Scholarship
- International Visitor Leadership Programmes (IVLP, VOLVIS UK)
- Fellowships: Fulbright, Chevening, Humphrey etc.
- Liaison with Association of Commonwealth Universities AAU, QAA, IAU, CHEA and UNESCO
Protocol and Passages Division
The Division is responsible for the following duties:
- Venue/Events Planning & Receptions
- Passport, Visa Procurement and Visa on Arrival
- Refreshments and Entertainment
- Transport and Logistics
- Procurement of Air tickets
- Hotel Reservation
- Executive Secretary Schedule.