To sustain learning environment in Nigerian Universities conducive, attractive, and globally competitive
To co-ordinate and monitor physical development in Nigerian Universities to ensure well- planned integrated physical environment conducive for teaching-learning, research, and community development
Mandate & Functions
The Department is mandated to carry out the following function as stated below:
- Periodic review and advise on Nigerian Universities’ Master Plans campus planning, development control.
- Advise on Universities projects costs based on comparative cost analysis.
- Ensuring that physical facilities/infrastructure in Federal universities conform to the provisions of their Master Plans and the standard building codes, as espoused in the National Universities Commission’s guidelines and the National Building Codes.
- Regular evaluation of Federal Universities project designs and appraisal of infrastructural development in Nigerian universities vis-Ã -vis the associated cash-flow.
- Quarterly monitoring of facilities/infrastructural development in the federal universities/and Inter-Universities Centres.
- Co-ordination of the University’s Central Resident Due Process activities and liaising with the Due Process Office of the Presidency (Budget Monitoring and Price Intelligence Unit) and other relevant Government Agencies on universities capital projects development.
- Preparation and review of National Universities Commission’s Standards Guide manuals for physical development and maintenance of facilities/ infrastructure in Nigerian Universities.
- Maintenance of data base on Geographic Information Systems, Space Inventory Records and Condition Survey of buildings and infrastructure in Nigerian Universities.
- Provision of instruments for institutional accreditation in terms of assessment parameter of the quality and conduciveness of their physical environment to learning.
- Monitoring of the management and utilization of university lands.
- Identification of suitable sites for proposed projects, in Federal universities.
- Representation at Universities Capital Projects Implementation Task Forces in the Federal Universities and Inter-universities Centres.
- Representation at Universities Council Tenders Board Committees.
- Assessment of damages due to disasters such as fire, rain storm, erosion etc, in Federal Universities.
- General maintenance of existing infrastructural and physical facilities in the National Universities Commission.
- Management of NUC physical assets.
- Advising State and Private Universities on matters relating to development, of their university campus, on request.
- Assessment of Engineering design proposal in Nigerian Universities to ensure compliance with approved minimum standards.
- Enforcement of laid down Engineering standards and regulation while out engineering projects in Nigerian University System.