Deputy Executive Secretary’s Profile
Prof. Chiedu Mafiana had his tertiary education at the University of Lagos, where he obtained his Bachelor and Master of Science degrees in Zoology in 1980 and 1984 respectively. He obtained his Doctorate degree (PhD) Zoology, with specialisation in Parasitology, from the University of Benin in 1988 and became a Professor in 2002 while at the Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta.
Professor Mafiana’s research interest is in the Epidemiology of Parasitic Diseases Arising from Agricultural Development and Land use Practices, Water-related Activities, Socio-economic Status, Environmental Changes and Sanitation. He pioneered research into Simulium and Onchocerciasis in the then Bendel State of Nigeria, previously terra incognita. He has consulted for the African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control (APOC) on the Rapid Epidemiological Mapping of Onchocerciasis, as well as studies on the blackfly (Simulium) cross boarder movement between Benin Republic and Nigeria. He is a Member of the Technical Review Committee of African Programme on Onchocerciasis Control. His other major research investigations include studies on Schistosomiasis and Geo-Epidemiological Mapping of the Disease, Malaria (infant and maternal, and insecticide treated nets and mosquito vectors) and Intestinal Helminthiasis, which resulted in the publication of over seventy peer-reviewed articles
Prof. Mafiana, a consummate educationist and Researcher, began his academic career in October 1989 at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB). He served the University and the Nigerian University System (NUS), in several capacities, such as Head of Department of Biological Sciences, Director, Equipment Maintenance Centre, Director, Academic Planning, and Chairman/Member of many Committees, including Committees of Council and Senate. As Director, Academic Planning, he had responsibility for successful implementation of the university’s Academic Brief and maintenance of NUC’s Minimum Academic Standards.
He commenced his career at the National Universities Commission (NUC) as a Visiting Professor between 2003 and 2005 and was appointed Director, Executive Secretary’s Office, NUC with direct responsibility for the accreditation of undergraduate and postgraduate academic programmes in the Nigerian Universities in August 2007. He was again appointed Director, Quality Assurance in August 2011, and Deputy Executive Secretary in July 2014.
Divisions under the DES Office
The function of the Division are as follows:
- Checking compliance with laws, instructions and directives.
- Price verification and physical inspection of goods and services.
- Audit of fixed assets, stock and investment.
- Audit and revenue, bank reconciliation statements loans/advances and salaries.
- Pre/Post payment, auditing and checking of payment vouchers and supporting documents.
- Checking the total level of government economy, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Carrying out spontaneous checks on the activities of the Department of Finance & Accounts at intervals to ensure that the books and records are kept up-to-date.
Industrial and Labour Relations
- Provision of secretarial services to the FGN/University-based Union, Negotiation exercises as well as the implementation and Monitoring of the various Agreements
- Preparation of negotiation documents, materials as well as the necessary logistic support to equip the Federal Government Team to effectively engage the Unions during the negotiation exercise
- Custodian of records of all the provisions negotiations and agreements between the Federal Government and the University-based staff Unions
- Monitoring development and trends in industrial relations in the university education sub-sector to assist relevant authorities in the formulation of national industrial relations policies, in particular and national policies in general
- Coordinating relations between employers and employees in the Nigerian University System to foster and maintain tripartite relations and cooperation between the government, employers and employee in the area of industrial relations
- Encouraging and assisting in the conduct of collective bargaining and joint consultation at workplaces and motivate practices on the concept of self-government in industry and the concept of joint consultation
- Providing auxillary services to prevent and resolve trade disputes and industrial action in the Sub-sector