Barr. Onuoha has a Higher National Diploma certificate (HND) from the Federal Polytechnic Idah, Kogi State. He also possesses a Law Degree from the University of Abuja.
Barrister Victor Onuoha joined the services of the NUC in 1987 and rose through the ranks to the position of Deputy Director in 2007. He was the Deputy Director, Corporate Services until 2011, when the Lagos Liaison Office was created, which he was appointed to superintend, in acting capacity, until his elevation as Director, Management Support Services in 2014.
To proactively create the conducive and enabling environment for the smooth execution of the Commissionâ€™s mandates through the strategic provision of the required administrative and human resource management support services.
To be the nerve centre for the strategic management of the commissionâ€™s human capital towards the successful accomplishments of its goals and objectives.
Mandate & Functions
Consistent with our vision and mission statements, and within the context of the overall mission of the Commission, the statutory mandates or functions of the Department are:
- Strategic Management of the commissionâ€™s human capital in terms of talent management and recruitment, compensation, benefits and rewards and records management;
- Strategic Human Resource Development in terms of training, retraining and staff development towards improving the skills and competences of the staff for improved performance;
- Provision of employee welfare services as motivational dynamics for increased staff productivity;
- Provision of general services in the area of security, mails and passages, office management etc;
- Ensuring the existence of core of disciplined staff and the creation of a friendly working environment in the commission; and
- Handling any other administrative and human resource matter that may be assigned from time to time.
Training & Employee Welfare Division
The Division has the following as its statutory mandates/functions:
- Identification of skills gaps through Training Needs Analysis for various Departments in the Commission;
- Identification of relevant courses for various categories of staff for in-house and external training;
- Identification of relevant training institutions for resource persons and materials;
- Preparation of training proposals for Learning and skills Development activities;
- Preparation of budget proposal for Learning and Skills Development activities;
- Processing requests for long-term training courses leading to acquisition of First and Advanced Degrees;
- Implementing the Commission’s policies on staff personal matters e.g. processing of Salary, Special and Housing Advances and providing assistance during ceremonies (marriages) and bereavements;
- Management of the Health and Safety policies of the Commission as well as coordinating NHIS matters;
- Handling Long Service and Merit Awards;
- Initiating motivating and job enrichment proposals for Management consideration;
- Handling any other assignments that may be assigned from time to time by the Director.
General Services Division
The Division is responsible for the following functions.
- Ensuring the safety of lives and property while maintaining peaceful conduct among staff and visitors within the Commission;
- Ensuring prompt processing and payment of the Commission’s utility bills for PHCN and FCT Water Board;
- Despatch of relevant correspondences.
- Collection and collation of Departmental Monthly Report
- Processing and issuance of Staff/Pensioners/NYSC/IT/Visitors identity cards.
- Registration of newly purchased NUC Vehicles and those of the Federal Universities
- Provision of mail services to the Secretariat
- Receiving and responding to letters of introduction to the Commission and other correspondences and
- Supervising the activities of the Security Outfit providing security services to the Commission
Establishment and Staff matters Division
The functions of the Division are as follows:
- Appointments and Promotions
- Performance Management/Appraisal
- Career Development & Management
- Records Management
- Interpretation of Rules and Regulations
- Handling of all issues pertaining to secondment, transfers/merger of service and leave of absence
- Provision of counselling services on career progression to staff
- Severance matters
- Processing of severance benefits
- Liaison with the National Pension Commission and relevant Pension Funds Administrators on behalf of the Commission on all matters pertaining to employees retirement benefits
- Providing secretariat services to the Commission’s Pension Board of Trustees
- Handling any other matter on Employees Pensions and Gratuity.
Discipline and Complaints Division
The Discipline and Complaints Division, is saddled with the following mandates/functions:
- Receiving and processing all Complaints and Grievances/Complaints Management.
- Enhancing the good image of the Commission.
- Providing fair and consistent means of enforcing the rules and regulations of the Commission.
- Initiating disciplinary actions when rules and regulations are violated.
- Disseminating information to staff on new and changes in the rules and regulations of the Commission.
- Building and preserving a core staff that will imbibe discipline as an essential ingredient for high productivity.
- Guaranteeing a peaceful working atmosphere in the secretariat through the enforcement of discipline.