Mrs. Usendiah, obtained her National Certificate of Education (NCE) from the Institute of Education, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (1981); B.A (Hons) English, University of Lagos, Lagos (1986) and M.A in English from University of Ibadan, Ibadan (1991).
She is a foundation member of the Forum for African Women Educationist (FAWE) and member, Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (MNIPR). Between 1976-1988, Mrs. Usendiah taught at various levels in Modern day Secondary School, Ilaro, Ogun State; Army Children’s School Ayetoro, Ogun State and Bayero University Staff School, Kano State, from where she moved to the Federal Road Safety Commission, Oyo state Sector Command, Ibadan, as Sector Administrative Officer in 1990. Mrs. Usendiah was Honourable Commissioner for Education,Youth and Sports in Akwa Ibom State, between 1994-1997, before joining the NUC in 1998 as Principal Personnel Officer. She organized many Workshops and Seminars on education, sports and youth development (1994-1997) and attended a lot more as a participant.
Her appointment is with effect from the 18th of January 2016.
To be the arrow head in the Commission’s quest to enthrone and promote a culture of quality in teaching and learning in Nigerian universities for the purpose of producing globally competitive entrepreneurial graduates who are relevant to national development
The Department of Inspection and Monitoring seeks to ensure that Nigerian universities comply with all the provisions of the Benchmark Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS) and other quality assurance guidelines that Government may lay down (through the Commission) from time to time through scrupulous inspection and regular monitoring.
The main functions of the Department are:-
- Monitors and evaluates all universities with focus on such areas as academic briefs and master plan implementation, institutional management and governance, student and staff numbers, staff quality and mix, teaching and research quality; infrastructural input and other issues pertinent to quality assurance (quarterly).
- Inspects and advises the NUC and proprietors of universities on the state of the institutions, highlighting areas that require remediation (as the need arises).
- Monitors and inspects, from time to time, the certificates awarded to approved programmes in order to maintain quality and standards (quarterly).
- Collects and collates information from universities that may assist in the inspection and ascertainment of compliance with the standards prescribed by law (quarterly).
- Co-ordinates, supervises and reports on the conducts of post-UTME Screening exercises in Nigerian universities (annually).
- Works with other government law enforcement agencies to ensure closure and discourage the proliferation of satellite campuses and other illegal degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria (regularly).
- Facilitates and promotes mentoring of newly established universities by older universities (regularly).
- Develops a database of students, staff and facilities from the monitoring and inspection activities of Nigerian universities (bi-annually).
- Advises the universities on how to achieve efficient quality assurance in their activities (quarterly).
- Ranks the Nigerian universities based on acceptable world ranking indices/seven imperatives for the Nigerian University System (biennially).
- Inspects facilities in the universities to determine their currency, the use of up-to-date ICT facilities and the quality of the staff manning them (quarterly).
- Advises on governance patterns and particularly the separation of responsibilities among the leadership of the universities (annually)
- Advises universities on how to take advantage of linkages in the development of quality academic programmes, funding and research initiatives (bi-annually).
Federal Universities Inspection and Monitoring Division
- Oversees the functions of the Federal Universities;
- Coordinates all activities of the Federal Universities and reports to the Director;
- Periodic review of the instruments for the inspection and monitoring of Federal Universities;
- Develops and updates database for the activities of Federal Universities;
- Monitors the compliances of Federal Universities with the provision of BMAS and other quality assurance guidelines.
- Undertakes periodic on-the-spot inspection visits to Federal Universities to assess compliance on matters such as admission of qualified candidates, Science to Arts ratio in admission, adherence to carrying capacity and admission quota, implementation of curriculum and academic calendars;
- Undertakes on-the-spot visits to Federal Universities reported to be involved in any unwholesome practice(s) with a view to advising the Commission on same;
- Analyses past accreditation results of Federal Universities preparatory to comprehensive inspection an monitoring visits;
- Organises and coordinates workshops on emerging policy issues in university education within the Federal System (e.g. problem of access);
- Any other ad-hoc assignment that is NUC-based (e.g. Programme/Institutional Accreditation, University System Annual Review Meetings, etc); and
- Any other assignment that may be given by the Executive Secretary and Director from time to time
State Universities Division
Functions of the Division
- Oversees the functions of the State Universities;
- Analyses past accreditation results of State Universities highlighting areas for remediation preparatory to comprehensive inspection and monitoring visits;
- Coordinates all activities of the State Universities and reports to the Director;
- Monitors the academic performance of State Universities;
- Monitors and assesses quality and adequacy of facilities in resources in State Universities;
- Compiles reports of visits and forwards to the Director for onward submission to NUC Management for appropriate action;
- Conducts regular monitoring and on-site visits to State Universities;
- Prepares annual assessment report on the performance of State Universities for NUC Management;
- Proffers recommendations based on quality indices with a view to improving academic standards in State Universities;
- Advises the Commission and Proprietors of State Universities on the state of institutions;
- Undertakes any task or ad-hoc duties assigned by the Commission;
- Organises workshops/seminars on best practices in university education as it affect
- Coordinates staff matters and activities in the Division.
Private Universities Division
- Analyses past accreditation results of Private Universities preparatory to comprehensive inspection an monitoring visits;
- Undertakes inspection and monitoring visits to Private Universities reported to be involved in any unwholesome practice(s) with a view to advising the Commission on same;
- Reviewing the instruments for the inspection and monitoring of Private Universities periodically;
- Developing database for the activities of Private Universities;
- Monitoring the compliance of Private Universities with the provisions of BMAS and other quality assurance guidelines, as well as those of their individual Academic Brief, Master Plan and University Law;
- Undertaking regular inspection to Private Universities to assess compliance on matters such as admission of qualified candidates, Science-Arts ratio, carrying capacity, admission quota, implementation of curriculum and staff mix, and highlighting areas of remediation;
- Participating in ad-hoc activities in the Commission; and
- Any other assignment from the Director or Executive Secretary from time to time.
Programme Monitoring Division
The Functions of the Division
- Coordinate and monitor the activities of Affiliate Institutions and Inter-University Centres.
- Provide a database of the programmes of the Affiliate Institutions and Inter-University Centres.
- Monitor compliance of Nigerian universities with the NUC guidelines vis-Ã -vis affiliations with Colleges of Education and other tertiary education institutions for the purpose of conducting degree education.
- Monitor compliance of Nigerian universities with the NUC guidelines vis-Ã -vis running approved programmes with Affiliate Institutions.
- Undertake on-the-spot monitoring visits to Universities reported to be involved in running unapproved affiliations with Colleges of Education and other tertiary education institutions, with a view to advising the Commission appropriately.
- Undertake monitoring visits to Affiliate Institutions reported to be involved in running unapproved affiliations with any Nigerian University.
- Identify the illegal degree institutions operating in the country with a view to putting an end to their activities and prosecuting the proprietors.
- Sensitize the general public on the risk of patronizing illegal degree-awarding institutions and unapproved programmes.
- Sensitize the universities on the effect of running unapproved programmes on students and the society at large.
- Organise and coordinate sensitization workshops on the existence and proliferation of illegal degree-awarding institutions in the country.
- All other activities that will enhance the delivery of qualitative education in the Nigerian University System.
- Any other assignment that may be given by the Executive Secretary and Director from time to time.