Mrs. Usendiah, obtained her National Certificate of Education (NCE) from the Institute of Education, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (1981); B.A (Hons) English, University of Lagos, Lagos (1986) and M.A in English from University of Ibadan, Ibadan (1991).
She is a foundation member of the Forum for African Women Educationist (FAWE) and member, Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (MNIPR). Between 1976-1988, Mrs. Usendiah taught at various levels in Modern day Secondary School, Ilaro, Ogun State; Army Children’s School Ayetoro, Ogun State and Bayero University Staff School, Kano State, from where she moved to the Federal Road Safety Commission, Oyo state Sector Command, Ibadan, as Sector Administrative Officer in 1990. Mrs. Usendiah was Honourable Commissioner for Education,Youth and Sports in Akwa Ibom State, between 1994-1997, before joining the NUC in 1998 as Principal Personnel Officer. She organized many Workshops and Seminars on education, sports and youth development (1994-1997) and attended a lot more as a participant.
Her appointment is with effect from the 18th of January 2016.
To be the arrow head in the Commission’s quest to enthrone and promote a culture of quality in teaching and learning in Nigerian universities for the purpose of producing globally competitive entrepreneurial graduates who are relevant to national development
The Department of Inspection and Monitoring seeks to ensure that Nigerian universities comply with all the provisions of the Benchmark Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS) and other quality assurance guidelines that Government may lay down (through the Commission) from time to time through scrupulous inspection and regular monitoring.
The main functions of the Department are:-
- Monitors and evaluates all universities with focus on such areas as academic briefs and master plan implementation, institutional management and governance, student and staff numbers, staff quality and mix, teaching and research quality; infrastructural input and other issues pertinent to quality assurance (quarterly).
- Inspects and advises the NUC and proprietors of universities on the state of the institutions, highlighting areas that require remediation (as the need arises).
- Monitors and inspects, from time to time, the certificates awarded to approved programmes in order to maintain quality and standards (quarterly).
- Collects and collates information from universities that may assist in the inspection and ascertainment of compliance with the standards prescribed by law (quarterly).
- Co-ordinates, supervises and reports on the conducts of post-UTME Screening exercises in Nigerian universities (annually).
- Works with other government law enforcement agencies to ensure closure and discourage the proliferation of satellite campuses and other illegal degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria (regularly).
- Facilitates and promotes mentoring of newly established universities by older universities (regularly).
- Develops a database of students, staff and facilities from the monitoring and inspection activities of Nigerian universities (bi-annually).
- Advises the universities on how to achieve efficient quality assurance in their activities (quarterly).
- Ranks the Nigerian universities based on acceptable world ranking indices/seven imperatives for the Nigerian University System (biennially).
- Inspects facilities in the universities to determine their currency, the use of up-to-date ICT facilities and the quality of the staff manning them (quarterly).
- Advises on governance patterns and particularly the separation of responsibilities among the leadership of the universities (annually)
- Advises universities on how to take advantage of linkages in the development of quality academic programmes, funding and research initiatives (bi-annually).
Monitoring and Evaluation Division
Division is headed by Mr. Henry Anaziah (Deputy Director)
- Monitoring Unit
- Evaluation Unit
Inspection and Investigation Division
Division is headed by Mrs. Lauretta Achor (Deputy Director)
- Inspection Unit
- Investigation Unit