Dr Gidado Bello Kumo is a well rounded educationist with a Bachelors in Education (B.Ed) degree in Islamic studies from the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. He also possesses a Masters in Education (M.Ed) in Education Psychology and a Ph.D in the same field.
He commenced his career at the National Universities Commission as an Assistant Chief Research Officer in 1997 and rose through the ranks to become a Deputy Director in 2009. He was appointed Director, Executive Secretary’s office in 2013, a post he held until his current redeployment to the Department of Academic Standards in 2014.
to be a more effective and efficient coordinator of the development and review of minimum standards/benchmarks towards enhancing the production of globally competitive graduates in the Nigerian University System.
to coordinate the setting/review of minimum standards/benchmarks for academic programmes andto develop policies and programmes towards ensuring the orderly development and quality of university education in Nigeria as well as enhancing its relevance to national development and global competitiveness.
Mandate & Functions
- The Department of Academic Standards is a product of the recent restructuring in the NUC. It emerged out of the severance of the old Division of Facilities and Infrastructure Planning and Development and the Resource Verification Unit of the Programme Planning Division
It is pertinent to note that the reorganisation has not markedly affected the job brief (save for the excision of the resource verification and Facilities and Infrastructure Planning and Development functions) of the Department which clearly remains the hub of the National Universities Commission given its critical functions.
The Department is made up of the following five Divisions:
- Postgraduate Curriculum Development and Planning,
- Undergraduate Curriculum Development and Planning,
- Resource and Strategic Planning, and
- Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme.
Auditors for regular checking of the accounts of the Commission.
Postgraduate Curriculum Development and Planning Division
The Division is headed by Dr (Mrs) Chinelo Nwosu (Deputy Director)
- Arts and Humanities Unit
- Science and Engineering Unit
- Health Sciences Unit
- Coordinating the setting of Postgraduate benchmark minimum academic standards (BMAS) for postgraduate programmes in all Nigerian universities;
- Ensuring periodic review of PG BMAS every five years as well as constantly intimating the universities on new curriculum related policy changes and global trends;
- Conduct of periodic Needs Assessment of Nigerian graduates with postgraduate qualification at both local and international markets;
- Organizing workshops & seminars on curriculum development for the universities as the need arises;
- Liaison with relevant government agencies to determine the manpower needs of the nation so as to develop benchmarks and also sensitize universities to establish programmes to meet such needs;
- Ensuring compliance by universities with Postgraduate BMAS for the various disciplines;
- Ensuring that the Postgraduate BMAS are made available to all departments in all the universities; and
- Promoting the evolution of centers of excellence in postgraduate programmes in the universities.
Undergraduate Curriculum Development Division
The Division is headed by Barr. S S Adejoh (Deputy Director)
- Arts and Humanities Unit
- Science and Engineering Unit
- Health Sciences Unit
- Coordinating the setting of Benchmark Minimum Academic standards for undergraduate programmes in all Nigerian universities;
- Ensuring periodic review of BMAS (Every five years) as well as constantly intimating the universities on new curriculum related policy changes and global trends;
- Conducting periodic Needs Assessment of Nigerian graduates at both local and international markets;
- Advising Government on possible need for policy review in relation to any aspect(s) of undergraduate curricula in university education in Nigeria;
- Organizing workshops/seminars on curriculum development for the universities as the need arises;
- Liaising with the National Planning Commission and other relevant agencies to determine the manpower needs of the nation so as to develop benchmarks and also sensitize universities to establish programmes to meet such needs;
- Ensuring compliance by universities with the BMAS for the various Programmes;
- Ensuring that the Undergraduate BMAS documents are made available to all departments in all universities;
- Ensuring quality control of all undergraduate academic programmes in the universities;
- Ensuring quality control of all undergraduate academic programmes in the universities.
Resource and Strategic Planning Division
Division is headed by Malam Ashafa Ladan
- Strategic Planning Unit
- Policy Analysis Unit
- Annual Review and Statistics Unit
- Periodic assessment of high level manpower requirements of the country in conjunction with the appropriate Government agencies;
- Collecting and collating data on staff, students and facilities as well as recurrent expenditure in Nigerian universities to ensure compliance with standards and submission of same for inclusion in the NUC data bank;
- Preparing Federal universities’ Annual Recurrent Grant request to the Federal Government as input into the NUC Budget preparation process;
- Holding the University System Annual Review Meetings with the institutions and analyzing their financial projections and plans;
- Analyzing the actual resource utilization costs in the universities;
- Evaluating the annual institutional performance against the approved academic plans;
- Monitoring the state and development of universities’ libraries;
- Supplying information on university education to Government departments, institutions and researchers;
- Ensuring periodic review of university funding policies and making appropriate recommendations to the Federal Government.
- Promoting the establishment and sustenance of strategic planning culture in the Nigerian University System;
- Guiding and coordinating periodic review of University Strategic Plans;
- Monitoring the implementation of Institutional Strategic Plans; and
- Evaluating and monitoring the implementation of university education policies in Nigeria.
SIWES Coordination Division
Division is headed by Mrs. M Oloyede (Deputy Director)
- Federal Universities Unit
- State Universities Unit
- Private Universities Unit
- Ensuring the establishment of SIWES units in Nigerian Universities;
- Liaising with ITF to ensure the implementation of all Federal Government policies on the Scheme;
- Vetting and approving Master and Placement lists of students from Universities and forwarding same to ITF;
- Reviewing courses approved for SIWES funding in Universities regularly;
- Liaising with ITF for the smooth running of SIWES;
- Seeking and obtaining professional advice/input from professional bodies on the implementation of the Scheme;
- Liaising with private sector organizations such as NNPC, RMRDC, NECA, FMI and MAN to facilitate collaborative efforts between Universities and industries;
- Liaising with large, medium and small-scale enterprises for purpose of collaboration for the success of the Scheme; and
- Encourage industries to accept students on industrial attachment.
Programme Planning Division
Division is headed by Mr. Lawal Farouk (Deputy Director)
- Undergraduate Programme Planning Unit
- Postgraduate Programme Planning Unit
- Resource Verification Unit
- Ensuring quality control for all academic programmes in the Universities;
- Draw-up guidelines for analysing application for establishment of new academic programmes and/or units;
- Processing applications for the establishment of academic programmes and units in the Universities;
- Analysing Academic Briefs for master-plan development in the Universities;
- Compiling and publishing academic development plans for all Universities;
- Liaising with Accreditation Division to facilitate programmes accreditation;
- Defining scope and phasing of programmes;
- Liaising with JAMB to facilitate admission processes;
- Liaising with NYSC to facilitate mobilization of Corps members;
- Facilitating the introduction of innovations and new thinking in programmes establishment;
- Processing and verifying the establishment of affiliations between Universities and other non-degree awarding institutions; and
- Any other duty relating to programmes as may be assigned by the Executive Secretary.