To be a dynamic regulatory agency acting as a catalyst for positive change and innovation for the delivery of quality university education in Nigeria.
To ensure the orderly development of a well coordinated and productive university system that will guarantee quality and relevant education for national development and global competitiveness.
The Goals of the National Universities Commission are:
- Attainment of stable and crisis-free University System.
- To work with Nigerian Universities to achieve full accreditation status for at least 80% of the academic programmes.
- To initiate and promote proficiency in the use of ICT for service delivery within the Commission and the Nigerian University System.
- Upgrade and maintain physical facilities in the Nigerian University System for delivery of quality university education.
- To match university graduate output with national manpower needs.
- To foster partnership between the Nigerian University System and the private sector.
The Functions of the Commission are:
- To advise the President and State Governors, through the Minister, on the creation of new universities and other degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria;
- To prepare, after consultation with the State Governments, the universities, the national manpower Board and such other bodies as it considers appropriate, periodic master plans for the balanced and co-coordinated development of all universities in Nigeria;
To lay down Minimum Academic Standards in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and to accredit their degrees and other academic awards;
- To ensure that quality is maintained within the academic programmes of the Nigerian University System;
- To make such other investigations relating to higher education as the Commission may consider necessary in the national interest;
- To inquire into and advise the Federal Government on the financial needs, both recurrent and capital, of university education in Nigeria and, in particular, to investigate and study the financial needs of university research and to ensure that adequate provision is made for this in the universities;
- To take into account, in advising the Federal and State Governments on university finances, such grants as may be made to the Universities by the Federal and State Governments, private proprietors and by persons and institutions in and outside Nigeria;
- To undertake periodic reviews of the terms and conditions of service of personnel engaged in the universities and to make recommendations thereon to the Federal Government where appropriate;
- To recommend to the Visitor of a university that a visitation be made to such university as and when it considers it necessary;
- To act as the agency for channeling all external aid to the universities in Nigeria;
- To receive block grants from the Federal Government and allocate them to Federal Universities in accordance with such formula as may be laid down by the National Council of Ministers.
Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, GCON, has said that research and innovation were necessary ingredients to solving the developmental challenges confronting African countries.read more
The President Society of Nigerian Theatre Artists (SONTA), Prof. Alex Asigbo sought for collaboration with NUC for development of curriculum for Creative Art and the possibility of making theatre art more lucrative and upgrading it to a faculty of Creative Arts.read more
The National Universities Commission (NUC), held a two-day National Summit on Private Universities, at the Idris Abdulkadir Auditorium of the National Universities Commission (NUC) Secretariat, Abuja.read more
The newly established Department of Socio-Economic and Infrastructural Development, Federal Character Commission (FCC), led by the Director, Mr. Dipo Akinsola, visited the National Universities Commission (NUC) on sensitisation and advocacy visitread more
The Deputy Executive Secretary (DES) Administration, National Universities Commission (NUC), Barr Victor U. Onuoha last Monday marked his 60th birthday with staff, which also marks his exit from the Commission, after attaining the mandatory retirement age in Civil Service.read more
The Executive Secretary, NUC, Prof. Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, mni, MFR, FNAL, has said that with NUC’s investment of Fifty Million Naira in the Nigeria University Pension Management Company (NUPEMCO), it was an important shareholder in the pension body.read more
The Vice-Chancellor, Wesley University of Science and Technology, Ondo State, Prof. Ndubueze Ukachukwu recently led a delegation, comprising Gallaudet University, United States of America and Nigeria National Association of the Deaf (NNAD) to the NUC to solicit the Commission’s partnership on Education for the deaf programme in Nigeria.read more
The Pro-Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Dr. Wale Babalakin (SAN) has advocated the formulation of policies that would attract the best brains to Nigerian Universities.read more
The Executive Secretary, NUC Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, mni, MRF, FNAL, has described the choice of the Federal Road Safety Corps Academy to affiliate with the Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) as a welcome developmentread more